Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ranch Deviled Eggs

While sitting in the doctor's office waiting room I saw this recipe in a magazine and jotted it down. 

I tried to char the peppers in a skillet but found that it worked better for me to just hold them over a gas burner with a pair of tongs.  Charring peppers is something I'd never done before so I was surprised when they began to sizzle and pop!

The original recipe called for 3 tablespoons of olive oil but I cut it down to just 1 tablespoon.  I also didn't have the garlic stuffed olives so I used some pickled garlic that I had in the fridge and just some regular green salad olives for the garnish.

These turned out to be something we really like!  The combination of the acidity in the yogurt and the ranch dressing gives it a totally different taste than a traditional deviled egg.  Fred is eating the stuffed jalapenos, they're too hot for my taste.

If you're using these as an appetizer, I'd cut the tomatoes across rather than lengthwise so they can just be popped into your mouth for a single bite.  The tomatoes don't keep too well after they're stuffed.  This morning I got one out and it tasted just fine but a lot of the juice had accumulated under the filling.



RANCH DEVILED EGGS

4 jalapeno peppers
4 roma tomatoes
8 boiled eggs
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 oz. pkg. Ranch dressing mix
1 T. Olive oil
4 garlic stuffed olives, sliced

Char skin on peppers in skillet.  When cool, cut in half
Lengthways and scoop out seeds.

Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out pulp.

Boil 8 eggs.  Cut in half and remove yolks.
Mash 4 of the egg whites with the yolks and set aside
the remaining whites to be stuffed.

Mix yogurt, dressing mix and oil with egg mixture.
Spoon mixture into hollowed out peppers, tomatoes
and eggs.  Top with olive slices.  Chill before serving.





I'm putting this recipe into my recipe album, it's a keeper!

No comments: