Friday, March 25, 2011

Jewish Apple Bread

Ddscrafts –Debbie Wilson mentioned this cake on Facebook yesterday.  It sounded so good that I ran to the store and bought the apples to make it myself.  It's a dense, moist cake and tastes better after it sits overnight. 

As soon as it came out of the oven I tried a slice and it was really good.  After sitting overnight, the flavors developed more from the cinnamon and the apples.  Delicious with a cup of good coffee!

Since the recipe calls for so much sugar, I was afraid the cake would be too sweet but the tartness of the apples takes care of that. 

Jewish Apple Cake

Mix together and set aside:
1/2 cup of sugar
2 tsp. of cinnamon

Mix together:
3 cups of flour
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of veg. oil
4 eggs
1/4 cup of orange pineapple juice (I just used plain orange)
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 tsp. baking powder
4 large apples, peeled and sliced (I used Granny Smith)

Mix flour, sugar and baking powder in large bowl
Beat eggs.  Add oil, juice and vanilla and beat until smooth;
Add to flour mixture and beat until smooth.

Pour ½ of the batter into a greased tube pan, lay ½ of the apple
Slices on top of batter and sprinkle with ½ of the cinnamon-sugar
Mixture.

Repeat layers, cake batter, apples then cinnamon-sugar.

Bake @ 350 for 1hr and 25mins

 Thank you Debbie for sharing this.  It's going to become one of the recipes in my recipe layout book.                                                         

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh I wonder if I can get hubby to make this even though he is not a fan of apples! Sounds yummy!

Robin's Crafting Creations said...

Sounds good i'm going to try it!