Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mexican Meatloaf

My momma could make a meatloaf to die for; my meatloaf just pretty much sucks!  I use the same ingredients she always did but mine just doesn't taste as good.

One of my all time favorite meals as a kid was meatloaf, mashed potatoes and English peas.  And once in a while I do attempt to cook a meatloaf just so I can have that menu, it just never works out very well!

Since I love to cook, I read cookbooks like a vampire fan reads the Twilight series.  I can't wait for a new cookbook to show up on the book aisle at the grocery store or Wal Mart.  Once I find one that looks interesting, I bring it home and read it front to back.

Fred used to tell people that he was afraid to come home for dinner when he saw me with a new cookbook because he never knew what to expect!

This recipe is based on one I found in a recent Taste of Home magazine.  It turned out really delicious, very moist (in fact, next time I won't use so much tomato sauce in the mix).  The addition of the Greek yogurt, which I forgot to tell Fred was in it, must be what contributes to the unique flavor.

I like it well enough that there will be a recipe layout done and included in my Cooking with the Cricut recipe album.

MEXICAN MEATLOAF

1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 tsp. Olive oil
2 garlic gloves, minced

Saute onion and pepper in olive oil until tender.
Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.

Transfer to a large bowl and add:

¾ cup Panko bread crumbs
¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
2 T. minced parsley
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Chili powder
1 lb.  Ground beef

Mix thoroughly.  Place in 8” square pan and bake at
350° about 25 minutes or until center tests at 165°.

Top with:
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. Chili powder
¼ cup grated cheddar cheese

Return to oven and bake about 15 minutes longer.

Here's the layout I threw together!

3 comments:

Carrie K said...

You sound like my mom with the cookbooks! She has sooo many but never cooks anything! She will send me the recipe and tell e to try it!!

Brenda said...

I suck at making meatloaf too Linda! I always wonder what my problem is in making it, but it does't seem to be my thing. LOL This meatloaf recipe sounds really good, so I think I will have a go at it! Your recipe lo is too cute! I love the shadow mom holding the lips on her tray!

TerriK said...

I love your recipe, Linda. I really suck at Meatloaf too. My DH always hates when I make it, he eats it complaining the whole time. Your layout is too cute!