Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches


    This is one of the best French Dip sandwiches I've ever eaten.  The recipe was found online through Pinterest.  I modified it slightly to use ingredients I had on hand.

Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches      
approx 3 1/2 lbs beef chuck roast
1 can Campbell's Beef Broth + 1/2 can water
1 10.5-oz. can condensed French onion soup
6-oz red wine --- I used Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin, a good red that doesn't have too much oak flavor
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
4-6 French rolls
sliced provolone cheese, optional---we didn't put the cheese on ours

Trim excess fat off of beef roast and season meat all over with salt and pepper.

Pour beef broth, condensed French onion soup, red wine and garlic powder into slow cooker and place beef roast into liquid.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours.--- I cooked mine on high for about 6 hours and the meat was falling apart tender.  Then I used two forks to shred the meat and left it in the juice.
.
Lightly toast the bread and evenly distribute cheese between rolls, if using. Divide beef onto rolls and spoon the beef juice  into ramekins or other small bowls and eat everything while it is hot. Serve each sandwich with its own dip.  ----We just spooned the meat and juice onto a split roll rather than dipping the roll into the juice.
Serves 4-6.


I'm sure you could omit the red wine, but I think that's what gave this dish such a wonderful rich flavor.  It's a definite keeper and worthy of a page in my recipe album.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love French Dip Sandwiches but they always seem to salty to me. Maybe the wine will tone down the salt? Thanks for sharing. I will be trying this.

TerriK said...

This sounds so yummy Linda, cant wait to try it.

okieladybug or okie_ladybug said...

Gonna have to make this one! I love French Dip sandwiches!