Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My favorite pizza recipe

When I purchaed my Cuisinart food processor, I received a large round grand griddle with it.  The griddle is extremely heavy and has helper handles on each side.  This is the recipe for pizza crust that's in the cookbook that goes with the griddle.

Even though the crust uses yeast, you don't have to allow any time for it to rise.  I can have a delicious homemade pizza on the table in less time than I can have one delivered.

Tonight, I browned a pound of bulk sausage, put it onto a paper towel to drain and sauteed some bell pepper and onion in the skillet, then I sliced some pepperoni and heated it in the microwave on a paper towel to help remove some of the grease that cooks out of it,

Once the crust was ready, I mixed the sauteed vegetables with a small can of tomato sauce, added some oregano, paprika and garlic and poured the mixture onto the crust.  Topped it with some grated Parmsan and Mozzarella cheese and the meats.

The only real recipe you need is for the crust.  Put whatever toppings on it you like.  I've done veggie pizzas for myself but the guys always wanted sausage or pepperoni.

The cool thing about this pizza recipe is that it's made on top of the stove.  You heat your griddle---and I see no reason why you couldn't use a cast iron skillet---on the stove top.  Brush it with a little olive oil and roll your crust out to fit onto the griddle/skillet surface.
CRUST

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 2/3 cup unbleached flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 T. olive oil

Stir the yeast and sugar in warm water to dissolve them.
Use the metal blade of your food processor to process the flour, salt, olive oil, and yeast about 60 seconds.
(I used my Kitchenaide mixer this evening and it worked just fine.)
Cook the crust about 1 minute, then add your toppings and cook another 8 minutes, or until the bottom is well browned and the cheese is melted.  Then you can slip it under the broiler if you like crispy edged crust.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I've never done pizza ontop of the stove Linda, sounds interesting! It is really good done on the gril on a stone!! I might have to give your crust a try. Beer pizza crust is good too. lol

Vanessa said...

I love homemade pizza! Your recipe sounds delicious. I need to try this stovetop method. Thanks for sharing!