Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cheddar and Jalapeno Muffins

CHEDDAR AND JALAPENO MUFFINS

This recipe was modified from a loaf bread recipe I found in a Fleischmann’s bread book.

3 ½ cups unbleached white bread flour
1 T. granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp. Salt
2 ¼ tsp yeast (one package)
2 T. olive oil
1 2/3 cups warm water
8 oz. (3 lightly packed cups) grated sharp cheddar cheese
½ cup chopped fresh jalapeno peppers


I put everything except the peppers and cheese in my Kitchenaid mixer bowl and just mixed it up for a couple of minutes.  Then I added the cheese and peppers and mixed it a little longer.  The dough was way too soft so I added, one tablespoon at a time, probably another ½ cup of flour to make the dough just barely stiff enough to handle.

I left the dough in the bowl, covered it with plastic wrap and let it rise until almost double.

Turned the dough out onto a floured surface and divided it into 10 portions.  I have some stoneware muffin cups that resemble flower pots so I did mine to fit into those.  But, you could definitely use a muffin pan or small loaf pans.  Don’t forget to spray the pans with Pam.

I put the muffin cups on a large baking sheet in a slightly warm oven and let them rise about 30 minutes. When they'd risen above the edge of the muffin cups, I set them on the counter and heated the oven to 350°.  Then I baked mine about 18 minutes, just until they were golden brown on the top. 

My dough was just a little too soft.  Next time I make these, I’ll add a little extra flour while its mixing.  And reserve just a little of the grated cheese to sprinkle on top before they bake.  That would give them a nice crunchy top.

The results are delicious!  The peppers give the dough some flavor but aren’t hot at all. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup very well drained and patted dry chopped green chiles.  I used the jalapenos because our plants are loaded with them and we had our first frost last night.  I hated to let them go to waste.

2 comments:

Ms.Mara said...

I can't wait to try these this weekend!

Thanks Linda!

Robyn said...

Thanks, this is on my ta-do list!