Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas is coming!

The weekend was spent getting my baking and other treats done for my goodie sack gifts.

My list includes Bishop's Bread, banana bread, poppyseed cake, cheese logs, seasoned crackers, potato soup mix, spicy Mexican Dip mix as well as some of the cinnamon-vanilla milk mix and pretzel dip I read about on the Cricut message board.

My sacks are decorated using some digital Santa faces that I colored with markers and some computer printed sentiments and homemade gift tags.  They're all lined up in a row with the non-perishable items inside and I'll add the other items on Friday before we go to my sister's house for the evening.

The bags are pretty simple this year.  I went all out doing them last year and we had a blizzard come in Christmas Eve and no one was able to make it to my sister's to exchange gifts.  It was several days before we could even drive the half-mile from our house to the highway.  Fred managed to walk to the neighbor's houses and give them the goodies I'd made so they wouldn't go to waste.  With our unpredicatable Oklahoma weather, this year I'm hedging my bets and keeping things a little more simple.



This year I tried a new dip recipe and I believe it's going to become our new favorite.  The cumin really gives this a good flavor and it's not too hot.

Hot & Spicy Mexican Dip Mix

1 T. minced onion
1 T. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. dried cilantro
1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients.  Mix with 1 1/2 cups sour cream and chill for several hours before serving.

No comments: