Thursday, January 12, 2012

Negative Space Butterfly Card

This card was inspired by one seen on Two Peas in a Bucket.  The creator, Julie Campbell said,
" Sometimes I like to make several die cuts of the same image and am left with a sheet of patterned paper full of the remaining negative space.  Instead of throwing this paper out....I'll show you how to create a fun card using these remnants.
If you don't have a die cutter, you could also use this same technique with a hand-held punch."

This card appealed to me and gave me an opportunity to try a new technique but it took a long time to make! Since the butterflies are 1", there were 54 of them on the page so that took over 5 minutes just to cut. 

 I had to go out into the garage and (1) find a sewing machine, (2)  clean the dust off the case, (3) service the machine and test it before I could even start to use it.  That machine's been in the garage over a year, just gathering dust so I had to get it to room temperature before it could be used. Last night out temperatures dropped to the lowest we've had this winter and that poor machine was like a block of ice.  So, the quickest way to warm it up was with a blow dryer! Once it was serviced I had no problems stitching on the paper.  Guess I'll leave the machine handy so I can incorporate stitching on more cards.

I used Design Studio and the Indie Art cartridge to lay out a sheet full of butterflies.  Then mounted one of the butterflies on the scalloped ovals.  There's stitching around the outer edges of the card front and I embellished the oval with a Pearl Pen. 
 
I do like the way it turned out, but I'm reserving this technique until I have a need for another entire sheet of butterflies.  There are now fifty-one, one inch high, blue butterflies on my cutting mat.  Hmmm....now I need to go find a project for these too!

2 comments:

Ann said...

I love this! The paper behind the negative space is like it was made for this! That Ribbon, ovals and light blue butterfly really set it all off! Thanks for sharing!

~ Lori ~ said...

This is really beautiful. That butterfly from Indie Art is one of my favorite cuts on a Cricut cartridge!