Friday, January 18, 2013

This is for Char52!

Char52 left this comment on yesterday's post about the pecan pie:

"I rarely get the cooking bug but I love to read your cooking posts. I live vicariously through you! I can't make a pie crust to save my life!!! "

If you and your family enjoy pies, I encourage you to try this pie crust recipe.  I took a pie crust class and this is what we learned to make.  It's a much softer crust than a traditional recipe and you can even just pat it into the pie pan rather than rolling it out and having to wrestle the dough.

The recipe makes enough for 3 eight inch single crust pies or, in my case, since I love crust, one decent sized cobbler.

You can use a Kitchenaid mixer rather than the pastry blender, just don't over mix the ingredients.  I prefer to use a little less than the full tablespoon of salt for traditional pies.  If you're making a savory pie, i.e. chicken pot pie or shepherd's pie, it will be fine.

 DONNA’S PIE CRUST

Mix with pastry blender:    3 c flour
                                        1 1/3 c shortening    
                                        1 T salt   (you may prefer to use a little less salt)

Mix together:            1 tsp vinegar
                                1 egg, beaten
                                6 T ice water

Shape into ball.  Pat or roll and put into pan.
Bake at 400° - 425° for prebaked crust.
Brush fluted edges with egg white.

I'm not a big fan of meringue on a cream pie, but this is the best recipe I've ever used.  Most recipes say to the spread the meringue on the hot filling.  If you let it cool to room temperature, the meringue spreads easier.


MERINGUE FOR 1 PIE

Beat together:            4 egg whites
                                 3 T sugar (to taste)
                                 ¼ tsp cornstarch
                                 dash salt

Spread on pie filling that has cooled to room temperature
Turn pie while browning meringue


***Shhh! , don't tell anyone, but, yesterday I used a Pillsbury pie crust from the grocery store to make the pecan pie--just like Crockingirls!*****

2 comments:

char52 said...

Clapping hands....Jumping up and down.... I am printing this. I will give it a whirl! ... Hmmm 3 day weekend.. I might experiment on Monday with my extra day off. hehehe and if I screw this up, I'm blaming you. hahahaha!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've never seen a pie crust with so many ingredients! My grandma taught me how to make crust (she was from Blue Jacket, OK) and it is pretty basic. I've heard of adding salt, and just recently I heard adding a little lemon zest but now my curiosity is up! I too must bake this weekend!
TK