Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Strangest Casserole I've Ever Made!

Okay, I have to admit this recipe was seen on Pinterest.  The photo of it was so pretty and the name intrigued me so I tracked it back to the original blog post.

It's fun to try new recipes, but even I had some doubts about this one!  Imagine how surprised I was at how good it tastes.  Now I'll have to scrap a page for it in my recipe album.





Cheesy Onion Casserole

    2-3 Tbs butter or margarine
    3 large sweet onions or 4 medium white or yellow onions
    2 c. shredded Swiss cheese (8 oz.)
    1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted**
    2/3 c. milk
    1 tsp. soy sauce
    8 or so slices of French bread

Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat, and add onions. Saute onions until clear, a little brown is ok. In a shallow 2 qt. casserole pan, layer onions, 2/3 of cheese and pepper to taste.

In a sauce pan, heat soup, milk, and soy sauce, stirring to blend. Pour soup mixture in the casserole and stir gently to mix.

Top with bread slices. 
Bake at 350 uncovered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, top of bread should be nice and toasted.

Push bread slices under the sauce and top with the remaining cheese.

Bake for 15 more minutes and you are done!



One pinner called this French Onion Casserole, but it  doesn't taste anything like French onion soup.  You can barely taste the Cream of Chicken soup.  **The original recipe says you can substitute Cream of Mushroom soup and make it totally vegetarian.**

Be sure you use real French bread and not the soft squishy loaves that are only in the shape of a French loaf. I used an artisan loaf and the texture of it was perfect.  






No comments: