Sunday, August 7, 2011

Getting a new computer!

The PC that I use is probably five years old, has had a few issues and been repaired a few times too.  Friday morning I drove up to The Computer Hospital and met with the owner to order a new PC. 

I had looked at a few retail stores and online to find one that I thought I'd like and decided to stick with what I like---Windows XP.   Many people who use computers for business are opting not to upgrade to Windows 7, and I'm one of them.

Yes, I understand that XP will not be as fast as Windows 7 because it can't utilize one "leg" of memory like W7 can, but that's okay.  I have several pieces of software that I use and they can't run on any version of Windows past XP.

My Pfaff sewing/embroidery machine software is the main problem.  The machine is over 10 years old and it took me forever to find a software patch so it would run on XP.  Even though I don't use the machine much since I've begun making cards, I want to be able to use it if the need arises.

Technology changes so fast that it keeps me leery of buying new things these days.  Just about the time you get a phone, camera or computer they come out with a newer version that makes yours outdated.  So, I've tended to not buy new stuff for the past few years, giving new technology a chance to be tested in the marketplace.  My friends really tease me about the cell phone I use but it works well for what I need and I'll keep using it until it breaks and I'm forced to find a new one!

Getting a new computer set up is a pain for me!  It's sort of like moving into a new house and trying to find things in the kitchen.  I know where everything's at on my PC and it's going to take me some time to get settled in on the new one even though all my programs will be automatically transferred for me.

I have all my data and documents copied onto a couple of jump drives and I think I'm going to spend some time going through that information as I put it back onto the new PC.  Having lost important documents in the past, I tend to save everything!

If everything goes according to plan, my new computer will be ready by Wednesday and I may only be offline for one day.   In the meantime, I'll try to get something new made so I'll have something to share on here as soon as I'm back up and running again.

2 comments:

Shawnee said...

Congratulations on your new computer.

Robin's Crafting Creations said...

I built a new computer a couple of months ago,Or i should say Ashleys BF did it for me, it has 7 on it and i hate it,knew i didn't want it from the get go since i have a laptop with it on there, But it is faster, and i am adapting........You know the saying can't teach an old dog new tricks. I did the same thing when i went from 98 to XP, So you can teach an old dog new tricks, lol