Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Smoked Marinated Chicken Breasts With Rosemary

We eat a lot of chicken breasts.  They're easy to fix and don't leave a lot of leftovers in the fridge.  As I looked at the breasts I had planned to fix for our dinner tonight I realized how often I repeat the same old recipes and wanted to do something different with them.

I used a Deni meat tenderizer on them and marinated them in buttermilk for several hours.  The acid in the buttermilk helps make the meat tender and the buttermilk itself keeps the meat moist.

 I baked them at 325° on a rack in my counter top Nesco oven for about 40 minutes then added two sprigs of fresh rosemary from my plant on the patio.  I let them continue to bake another 15 minutes and the aroma from the rosemary filled the house.

While the chicken was baking, DH turned on his Cook Shack electric smoker and added some wood chips.  After the chicken tested over 165°, I removed it from the Nesco and placed it in the smoker.  It smoked about 20 minutes, just enough to give it a nice brown smoked exterior. 

These turned out so well, that I'm adding it to my "chicken repertoire" and we'll definitely be having chicken breasts done this way again in the near future.


No comments: