Saturday, January 1, 2011

A new year, a new technique

Yesterday I picked up a copy of CardMaker magazine and read an article about Gina Krupsky from Gina K. Designs.  One of her favorite stamping techniques is called emboss resist.  You emboss an image and then sponge ink over the top.  The embossed area won't absorb the ink so it makes it stand out from the background paper.

I had never tried this so, using her example in the magazine, here's what I came up with.


Background is SU Ballet Blue and Old Olive cardstock.  I ran the blue through my Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder.

In Microsoft Word, I typed in the sonnet How Do I Love Thee?  by ELizabeth Barrett Browning and printed it out on white cardstock. 

The butterfly image is embossed with white embossing powder and then I used MS inks to cover the image.

I computer printed the "miss you" and punched it off center with an 1 1/4" punch, mounted that onto a blue 1 1/2" scallop and a 1 3/4" green scallop.

Since I used the white embossing powder, the butterflies have sort of a yellow-green tinge to them.  I like the way this card turned out!  This is a technique I'll have to keep in mind.

This next card's just a fun one I made last night.  The sun image is from Hello Kitty Greetings.  The sentiment inside is " you brighten my day".


 


3 comments:

Vanessa said...

I absolutely love the first card! I think my favorite part is the printed sonnet--what a clever idea! And the second card is really cute and cheerful. Thanks for sharing!

A Country Twinkle said...

You did a great job trying out that technique. I really like it. I have that issue of cardmaker too but I haven't taken the time to read it yet. I usually just flip through the pages first and see what card can inspire me. I like your sunshine card too. Was just thinking this morning about how I should do a card with some yellow and orange in it because those are colors I never use. Just to shake things up abit. Great cards!

Larelyn said...

Hi Linda,
How funny - I was just reading that magazine :) Your card turned out beautifully. I would definitely try that technique.
Hugs,