Tuesday, June 26, 2012

'Maters!

Summertime, summertime, sum, sum, summertime!  Nothing says summer to me like fresh tomatoes from our garden.  They have been getting ripe a few at a time up until this week.  This is what I picked today off six plants. 

The farmer's market had purple hulled peas today.  Right now, there's a big pot of those simmering for our dinner tomorrow night.  I'll fix cornbread and sliced tomatoes to go with them and we'll enjoy a meal much like one my mom would have fixed when I was a kid.  Yummy!

It's so hot here that we can't leave tomatoes on the plants until they're completely ripe.  You have to pick them with just a little bit of green near the stem.  Momma always brought hers in and placed them stem side down on the window sill to finish getting ripe.  I have no clue why she turned them over, but I do the same thing!

Fred picked up some bacon this morning at the grocery store and I can see BLT's in our near future!

No comments: