Friday, June 8, 2012

Busy Birthday!

Today's my birthday.  I treated myself to the entire day just out shopping and taking a short road trip.

The day started out really great since there were two super nice surprises for me in the mailbox this morning.  Kallio Kalleidoscopes sent me a box of her beautiful 8 x 8 papers and I'll be turning them into some wonderful cards in the next few days.  I'll post photos on here so you can see her designs; they're really very pretty and I think they're going to work back nicely with the stamps and card kit that arrived today too!

And Bear Makes 3 is a stamp shop about 50 miles from my house.  They send out emails with class info every couple of weeks.  If I see something that intrigues me and know that I can't make the class, I just call and they send me the class kit.  Here's the photo of the class samples:

Designed by Vicki Bridges at And Bear Makes 3
It's going to be fun playing with the Kaiser Craft Vintage stamps on the muted paper from Kallio and I'm pretty sure there's going to be some Tim Holtz inks involved too!

I was tempted to just turn around, go back inside and play with the new papers and stamps and forget about the road trip, but, I had a destination in mind so I went on.

My first stop of the day was at a restaurant named POPS. 
It's located on Historic Route 66 just outside Arcadia, OK.  It's become a real tourist attraction because of it's unique architecture and the huge neon pop bottle out front.

The restaurant is a really modern looking building and their claim to fame is that they sell hundreds and hundreds of different types of pop!  You can find any flavor you can think of in their coolers.  The outer walls of the building are glass with shelves full of bottles on display. 

I had one of the best chicken quesadillas that I've ever eaten for lunch---and I didn't even have a pop to go with it!

After lunch I drove on to Historic Guthrie and toured the downtown area and some of the residential streets admiring the Victorian style homes.  Then, I headed to my real destination, Enid, where we lived right after we got married.  It took me a while, and a few wrong turns, to find the houses we'd lived in.  It was nice to see how they'd changed and how much smaller they look than I remember.

My friend, Carrie, had told me there was a scrapbook store on the downtown square so I stopped in and picked up some really pretty Echo Park paper while I was in town.

Enid has changed so much since I lived there!  They now have a Hobby Lobby.  I would have died and gone to heaven if it had been there in the 70's!  I stopped by just to look around and stumbled across a Pagoda cartridge that was marked down to $15.11 and snagged it.  I've looked at the cartridge before but never wanted to spend $25-35 on it.  There are only a few cuts that I really like on this one.

Then I headed back home.  It's about 150 miles to Enid so I'd done enough driving for today.  Rather than take the Interstate highway, which was under construction on the south bound lanes, I decided to jig-jog across on the two lanes instead.  It was a fun trip seeing the small towns and countryside, right up until I missed a turn and wound up going about 30 miles out of the way before I realized what I'd done!

It's been a long, fun day.  Now, I believe I will go put up my feet and relax!   

6 comments:

Carrie K said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you have a great day. Did you do all this by yourself? Sometimes I like to do stuff like that just me and my thoughts!

jackiern1 said...

What a fun way to spend your birthday! Now I have to check my local HL's and see if they too have a Pagoda marked down like that!! May the next year continue to give you nothing but health, wealth, and bountiful blessings!!
Jackie

Delo said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a fun day.

MaryH said...

Hello Linda. Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like a really grand way to spend it. You did what you enjoyed, found some neat stores along the way, had a great lunch...what more could one ask of a birthday???!!!! Enjoyed the cards on the earlier posts also. TFS

Linda said...

Yes, Carrie, I did it by myself. It's not unusual for me to take off on a day trip alone. That way I can look at scrap supplies as long as I want1 LOL!

Anonymous said...

What a perfect Birthday! And Happy Birthdayday, Linda! Can't wait to see your new creations with your new stuff...
TK