Sunday, June 3, 2012

The First Cucumber of The Season

Today I picked the first cucumber of the season from my small garden out back.  I've been watching it for over two weeks just waiting for it to be big enough.  Guess the rain we had a couple of days ago was just what it needed!

I brought it inside and was anxious to get it peeled and chopped to make one of my favorite cucumber salads.  It's a recipe I got years ago from my good friend, Ella.  I always have the ingredients to make it on hand so I make it a lot during the summer months.

There are no specific amounts, it's one of those recipes you just have to "eye ball".

CUCUMBER SALAD

peeled and diced cucumber

finely diced onion
Miracle Whip salad dressing
lemon juice or vinegar
milk

Combine the lemon juice or vinegar with milk to sour the milk, whisk in 2-3 heaping tablespoons of Miracle Whip until combined.  Taste the mixture and  if it's too acidic for you, just adjust the Miracle Whip amount or add a little white sugar.  Add the cucumber and onion and chill.

For the one large cucumber I had today, I probably used 3/4 cup of milk and 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice then whisked in 3 heaping tablespoons of Miracle Whip.  The dressing for the salad is really liquid.

It's that easy.  It's okay to enjoy it immediately (I just ate a small bowl of it!) but it's better if you let it stand for a while in the refrigerator.  It will keep several days.

We went to Ella's house one evening for a cookout and she fixed this.  It's a wonderful alternative to just diced cucumbers and onions in vinegar. 

1 comment:

Betty Latty said...

Linda, I love your blog and I stop by all the time to see what you have made or what you have cooked. Thanks for all the wonderful posts, I too picked my first cucumber today, only one and I ate it all by myself and didn't share with anyone. LOL! Keep doing what you do.