Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Successful Kitchen Experiment

I've been reading cooking magazines (again!).  Recently, I tried a new recipe from a Taste of Home 5 Ingredient publication and we liked it but it wasn't one we liked well enough to add to my recipe album.

Tonight I made a variation of the recipe as an experiment and it turned out really good.  So, now I need to get another recipe page made before I forget it!

From start to finish, you can have this on the table in less than 20 minutes.  Add some good bread and a salad or green vegetable and you have a complete meal.




Easy Goulash

1 pound ground beef
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1 3 ounce package of beef flavored Ramen noodles (broken into pieces)
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Bay leaf (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground beef with the onion and bell pepper.

Add the seasoning packet from the Ramen noodles, Italian seasoning, undrained can of tomatoes and bay leaf.

Simmer until the noodles are tender.

I always use Hunt's diced tomatoes.  They have the best flavor of any brand I've tried.  We like the flavor added by a bay leaf but you can omit it.

Since I cook just for the two of us, one pound of ground beef makes enough for our dinner and then there's enough left over for lunch tomorrow.  The dish cost less than $5.00 to make so it's a great one to stretch your food budget too!
 

No comments: