Saturday, October 19, 2013

Jingle Bell Frame

Some days everything you do just goes so smoothly, projects turn out just the way you want, everything cuts fine and your software never shuts down.  Then there are days like today.  ***sigh***

I decided since DH was out of the house, I'd make a shadow box frame with a vinyl saying and it is one of those days that nothing seemed to go right.  I fought with my vinyl lettering for about 2 hours before I realized  what was wrong and fixed the problem.

Silhouette America ran a sale on vinyl and I ordered eight rolls because of the price.  I hate that vinyl!  The backing won't stick to my cutting mat.  I still haven't found the right settings to get a kiss cut and it will not stick to my transfer paper well enough to pull the vinyl off the backing!  One positive thing about it is that it does weed quite easily as long as the shapes cut cleanly.

After working with the Silhouette vinyl for over an hour, I gave up and used my Oracal 651.  It cut like butter and went on easily.

The lettering didn't show up well in the photo so I added a black shadow to the silver lettering I like the way this frame turned out.  Hope someone likes it when I put it on display at the craft show too!

 The shadow was just what it needed for the silver to show up well.

8 comments:

Kris Dietz said...

What a great idea! Love your combination of paper and bells and the font!

Kris

simplybren said...

This looks great. Thanks for sharing....sorry you had so much trouble.......but love the finished project.

Suzette said...

Looks great!! Love everything you make.

wayred48 said...

Hi Linda,
Very cute, thanks for sharing. I found some shadow boxes at Michael's that were different colors and I've been fighting with sanding/repainting them. Do you have a good source for the shadow boxes you could share?

Thank you.

Linda said...

These came from Michael's. They were wrapped in packages of three. I bought them about 5 months ago. They're 8 x 10 size.

wayred48 said...

great, I'll take a look there. I don't remember seeing them but I wasn't looking for a packs. :) thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Is this made from a shadow box and how do you keep the bells from rolling aound?

Linda said...

Yes, it's a shadow box frame. The bells are not secured. You just jiggle the frame to arrange them in the corner.