Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Tater Tot Crock Pot Bake

  This recipe kept popping up on Facebook so I gave it a try tonight.  Even Fred said it was good!


 
Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Tater Tot Crock Pot Bake
 
 1 (32 ounce) bag tater tots
 1 (3 ounce) jar bacon bits 
 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups grated colby cheese
1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack pepper cheese
3/4 cup milk
salt and pepper

Directions:
  Grease the bottom of the crock pot.
  Layer 1/2 the tater tots on the bottom of the pot.
  Sprinkle with 1/4 of the jar of bacon bits.
  Combine the two cheeses, and sprinkle 1/3 of it over the bacon and tots.
  Top cheese with the chicken breasts.
  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
  Top chicken with another 1/3 of cheese.
  Sprinkle with another 1/4 of the jar of bacon bits.
  Add remainder of the tater tots.
  Top with final 1/3 of the cheese.
  Pour milk over the top.
  Set crock pot to high and cook 3-4 hours.

My modifications since there are just the two of us:  used just colby cheese, only 2 chicken breasts, used about 3/4 of the package of tater tots, reduced the milk to 1/2 cup, added some diced onions and I did NOT use bacon bits from a jar.  They have a weird taste to me, so I used about 6 strips of crisp bacon that I diced up finely.

Next time I prepare it, I'll lower the temperature on my crockpot and it will probably still be done in less than 4 hours.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this is something my husband and son would love.