Monday, April 23, 2012

My Finished Pizza

This will make sense to you if you read the previous post for the pizza crust recipe. My recipe uses a food processor to make the dough, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't just use a mixer.

 Just roll your dough out to fit your griddle or skillet, whichever you use.  I had preheated my griddle for 2-3 minutes over medium heat and checked it with a laser thermometer.  It was almost 300° when I put the crust onto the griddle.  I let it cook for one minute and then lowered the heat.



 Tonight's pizza ready to go under the broiler.  I used a combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, browned bulk Italian sausage, diced pepperoni, diced onion as well as some chopped orange, yellow, and red bell peppers.









After putting the pizza under the broiler for about 3-4 minutes.  I topped it with some fresh purple basil from my herb pot out back.  I let it stand for a few minutes for the basil's flavor to develop from the heat of the pizza.

The griddle's cooking surface measures 12".  I made the crust just slightly larger than 12" so we'd have a little edge.  If you like thick crust or soft crust on your pizza, this recipe's not for you!  It turns out thin and crispy.

 I prepared a salad with some bibb lettuce from my garden and that's what we had for dinner tonight. We managed to eat half the pizza!

Saturday morning the show America's Test Kitchen is on our local PBS channel.  They were making pizza crust.  They recommend using bread flour and allowing the dough to rest in the refrigerator for several hours before you attempt to shape it. This allows for slower fermentation of the yeast and it lets the gluten from the flour develop.   Guess that will be the next pizza crust recipe I try...I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

KAT said...

although this sound pretty darn tasty, it sounds like too much work for me...a laser thermometer? i have no idea what 'that' is. i usually buy pillsbury pizza dough and make mine...but i'll bet yours is healthier and tastier....lol also i never heard of oranges on pizza but i like pineapple....thanksk for sharing the recipe. i might try them oranges.

Unknown said...

Oh, that looks good.