Thursday, September 26, 2019

Swedish Meatballs

This recipe was found online.  I did modify it slightly by adding extra sour cream and some Worcestershire sauce.  You could add slightly more than the 1/4 tsp. of allspice and nutmeg and these would taste even better.  I used my medium disher to portion out the meat and got 40 meatballs.  Next time, I'll make them smaller so the flavor of the sauce will cook into the meat better.

This made a lot of meatballs.  I packaged the meatballs and sauce for the freezer and have 9 meals prepped.  I will cook the noodles as I defrost the packages.


SWEDISH MEATBALLS
Serves 6-8
2 t. olive oil, divided
1 finely diced onion
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
½ c. Panko breadcrumbs
2 egg yolks
¼ tsp. allspice
¼ tsp. nutmeg
Salt and pepper

SAUCE:
¼ c. butter, melted
1/3 c. flour
4 c. beef broth
¾ c. sour cream
Heat 1 T. oil in skillet. 
Add onions and cook until clear.
Combine onions with meatball ingredients and mix well.
Shape into meatballs.  Brown meatballs in skillet with remaining 1 T. of oil.
Make roux with melted butter and flour.  Cook 1-2 minutes.  Whisk in beef broth.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in sour cream.  Add meatballs to sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve over noodles.

I think I’ll add a little extra nutmeg and allspice.  For the broth, I used 2 cans of Campbell’s consommé and added enough water to make 4 cups.  I also added extra sour cream and some Worcestershire sauce.

No comments: