Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Cheese Crackers

After doing some online research I've decided there's no good way to make cheese crackers that are low in Weight Watcher points. Most recipes call for adding butter which adds 30 points to the total! The added fat does help to make the crackers crisp but cheese contains a lot of oil too so I thought I'd try a recipe without adding the butter.

I misted my cutting board with oil and spread it out using my fingertips to prevent the dough from sticking while rolling it out.  Cover the dough with waxed paper and it won't stick to your rolling pin.

Before baking, the crackers were poked with a fork several times to help them bake evenly.  I also sprinkled them with salt which makes them a little too salty for my taste.

They wound up being slightly tender rather than crisp since I used biscuit mix rather than flour.

You want to roll them out extremely thin.  The biscuit mix has leavening in it and most cheese cracker recipes do not include any type of leavening ingredient.


Cheese Crackers
Makes 24 crackers 

4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
¾ cup biscuit mix
4 T. buttermilk***

Put ingredients into food processor and process until ball forms.

Turn out onto an oiled surface, roll to 1/8” thick and cut into 2"
squares.

Place squares onto parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake @ 375° for 8 – 10 minutes.

·                    *** I made buttermilk by adding vinegar to skim milk

Weight Watcher points total 20 for entire recipe

No comments: