Friday, October 26, 2012

Emboss Resisit Leaves Card

Today I experimented doing a resist inking technique over embossed images.  I stamped the images with Versamark ink, added embossing powder in various colors and then heat embossed them.  The background paper was done with Stampin' Up's En Francais background stamp.

What I learned is, given the type of cardstock I use, Tim Holtz distress inks soaked into the surface too quickly, while Memento Ink performed more as I wanted.

My first trial was clear embossing powder with Tim Holtz fired brick red ink.

The pigment in the Tim Holtz ink didn't wipe completely off the embossed images, leaving them sort of tinged with color.















The second combination was white embossing powder and the fired brick Tim Holtz ink.  The ink didn't stain the embossed image but since the embossing powder is opaque, the background paper isn't visible.












'
The third experiment has black embossing powder and the same red ink.  I think this one looks better than the white.















My favorite combination is clear embossing powder and Memento Ink.  The ink didn't soak into the background paper so much, leaving more of a shadowy look which is more of what I was trying to achieve.

This is an easy technique to use.  Just pick a stamp that is relatively solid; an outline stamp won't work well unless it's a really thick outline.  There won't be enough surface area covered with the Versamark ink for the embossing powder to adhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you show us all the results - that really helps! I like all of them, but I really like the third as well. TFS your experiment!
TK Watson

MaryH said...

I liked all of these! If you look at Stamp TV (Gina K), she has a real good video with this technique. She used Memento ink also. I think the blue might be my fav too, but I appreciate your showing all the different effects. They're lovely cards, just each one is different! TFS