Monday, March 5, 2012

Great Expectations!

We've had a few days with temperatures in the 70's and plenty of sunshine.  They've made me itchy to get outside and start working in the garden but, living in Oklahoma, I've learned the hard way that you do not put out any plants that can't tolerate a frost until after Easter.

This year, I decided to buy organic seeds and start my own flowers and vegetable plants.  I've been saving the empty K-cups from the Keurig coffee maker to use instead of buying peat pots.  They fit perfectly into some plastic shoe boxes I had stashed in the garage.  Using the shoe boxes will make it simple to bring them inside at night and to keep them covered so the soil won't dry out before the seeds can sprout.

Today it was just too pretty not to do something yard related!  So, I put my seeds into the little cups to get them started.  Since it's only four more weeks until Easter, I think I've timed it just about right.

 

Here's a portion of my future garden!


 I'm starting yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, Genovese basil and Moonflowers. 

Moonflowers are my absolute favorite vine to have growing on the west side of the patio to provide evening shade.  The blooms are about 8" across and have a wonderful smell.  They attract Luna moths!  The first time I saw one of those moths, it was out of the corner of my eye and I thought it was a bat!  They're huge!
 
The land surrounding our house isn't suitable for "in the ground" gardening so Fred built some raised beds for vegetables as well as a couple of  huge planters in the back yard.  This year we'll put out just a few tomato plants and hot peppers in addition to the plants I'm starting from seed.  Last year, he was recuperating from the fall he took off the ladder and we had no garden at all.  How I missed having some home grown tomatoes to enjoy!  I'm really hoping that we have some rain this year in Oklahoma and my little garden does well!

9 comments:

KAT said...

good luck. i'd like to try moon flowers here. don't know if they can tolerate michigan weather. we just bought potting soil to start some of our veggies this week. i love gardening, and i could sure use a good workout, keeping it up.

AndreaA said...

Linda, I don't drink coffee, but I like you idea with putting these in shoeboxes. Can you tell me would the little container be about the size of a bathroom cup?

We use to garden about 1/2 an acre, until it got to much to do. Last year was the first time I didn't have a garden since I got married in 1969.
Like you, I missed my fresh picked tomatoes and green peppers.
Last year I never got to work in my flower beds because we had no spring. (I can't go out in the heat). I think I may borrow your idea :) Thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

Nice way to use those nasty little Kcups! I bought refillable ones to use since these have stacked up on me. Thanks for the idea. Oh, and if it doesn't rain, find a watering can like the one in your card below and take turns with dh watering your garden!

Ann
http://anncanscrap.blogspot.com/

Linda said...

Andrea--they're probably just a little smaller than the paper bathroom cups.

Kat--if Moonflower vines can handle 100+ degrees, blowing winds and drought, they surely can handle weather in Michigan! They stay green right up until frost and flower all season long. They also re-seed themselves quite nicely.

Linda said...

Ann--you'd wear yourself slick trying to water in OK with a watering can! lol! It gets so dry here that we water the tomatoes in the raised beds twice a day.

Carolyn/MamaC said...

Wow, Linda! I love your planning ahead! Be sure to post the flowers this summer!
Carolyn
http://cccscraproom.blogspot.com

MulticrafterAmy said...

I am so dreaming of eating garden fresh tomatoes and corn again. MMMM I can hardly wait.

Barbara H. said...

Linda, I want to put in raised beds this year, but I don't really know how to start. Could you post a picture please. Also where would I get seeds or plants to start the moon flowers. I've never heard of them but it sounds like something I would love. I have an ideal spot. Thanks Barbara

Linda said...

Barbara--I'll try to get some photos done and posted this week of our raised beds.

Just Google "raised beds" and you'll see tons of ideas on how to make some. Ours are wood, made from 1 x 12's and are 4 x 8' in size.

Moonflowers belong to the Morning Glory family. You should be able to find them in the seed displays at your local garden center. I picked mine up at WalMart this year.