Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Mexican Rice

I've tried numerous times without success to duplicate the rice that's served in Mexican restaurants.  Refried beans are no problem, but the rice has never turned out right.  So, today I went onto Facebook and asked if anyone could tell me how to make it.

Turns out, the secret to the rice is to sautee it until it's golden brown. 

Following the suggestions on Facebook, I managed to make a decent version of the rice.  Mine has too much tomato juice, but it still turned out delicious.  I'll enjoy it as a side dish with the green chili chicken from yesterday.

By adding some green chilies or green pepper and some oregano and cumin I can duplicate the Spanish rice I used to purchase for a simple one dish recipe my family enjoys.  The recipe calls for a can of Spanish rice and it's no longer available in our area.  The recipe just hasn't tasted right when I've made it with the packaged Spanish rice from the store.  Those packages are over seasoned. 


MEXICAN RICE
2 T.  peanut oil
1 cup rice
½ cup chopped onion
1 can diced stewed tomatoes
Salt and pepper

Heat oil in skillet.  Add rice and onion.  Sautee and stir until
rice is golden brown.   Add salt and pepper.

Drain juice from one 16 oz. can of stewed tomatoes.
Add juice to pan along with some of the tomatoes.

Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.


No comments: