Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Green Chili Chicken

Mexican food is just about my favorite.  I prepared this last night to have for lunch today.  I wanted it to sit overnight so that the tortillas would soften up and absorb some of the liquid from the green salsa.

You don't need much sour cream in the layers.  It does add a nice compliment to the tartness of the salsa and the sweetness of the corn tortillas.  You could substitute plain yogurt or Greek yogurt for the sour cream.  I had sour cream on hand so that's what I used.

Williams chili seasoning is my favorite blend but regular chili powder would work.

This would make good filling for tacos if you used chicken breasts or thighs and shredded the meat once it was done. 

The fastest way to shred cooked chicken is to use your mixer.

I'm also going to try this as filling for chicken enchiladas with sour cream sauce.  The recipe made quite a bit so I have plenty left over to have a couple more meals.


GREEN CHILI CHICKEN

1 lb. chicken – I used ground Smart Chicken
1 jar Herdez green salsa
½ c. chopped onion
1 tsp. Williams chili seasoning
Salt and pepper
Sour cream
Corn tortillas

Put chicken, salsa, onion, chili seasoning and salt and pepper into crock pot.
Mix well.
Cook on high until chicken is done.

In a casserole dish layer:
1. some of the liquid
2. tortillas
3. chicken mixture
4. sour cream
Repeat layers.

Since I cook for just myself, I used two tortillas and less than half the chicken mixture.  That made a really large serving for one!


No comments: