Thursday, September 7, 2017

Breakfast Sausage Patties, Version II - 2 Smart Points

I've made breakfast sausage for quite some time.  I've used a 50/50 ground pork and chicken combination of meats as well as using turkey.  The turkey is my least favorite meat to use.  No matter how I season it, it still has an odd taste to me.  The pork and chicken combination turns out really good, but I'm trying to modify some of my everyday recipes to have fewer Smart Points per serving.

Most of the time, even using the ground pork, by the time the patties are done, they've dried out.  There's just not enough fat in the meat to give the mixture any moisture.

Today I used one pound of ground white meat chicken and added in a single slice of Sara Lee 45 calorie bread that I'd soaked in 2 T. of skim milk.  The bread holds the moisture from the milk and the patties turned out nice and juicy.  Because the bread is split over 8 large patties, it doesn't increase the Smart Points per serving.

Breakfast Sausage Patties -- Version II
2 Smart Points per patty -- recipe makes 8 patties

1 pound ground white meat chicken
1 slice Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, torn into chunks
2 T. skim milk
1/2 tsp. ground sage
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ginger
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of black pepper

Put torn bread into mixing bowl with the milk.  Using the back of a spoon, press the bread into the milk until the milk is absorbed. 

Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Using a scoop, make 8 patties.  The scoop I use is approximately 2 tablespoons. The mixture will be soft.  I spray my hands with Pam and then shape the patties.

Cook in a non-stick skillet over low heat until internal temperature is at least 165°.  Remove from skillet, cover and let stand until cool.

Smart Points
Chicken             16
Bread                  1

No comments: