Sunday, July 23, 2017

Veggie Burgers -- 4 Smart Points

I've tried commercially prepared veggie burgers and, to me, they're pretty much edible but "meh!" nothing to write home about.  Since I've been investigating the concept of a whole food plant based diet, I bought Rip Esselstyn's book "The Engine 2 Diet".  He advocated a totally plant based diet for health reasons.  This recipe is from the book.

I used diced onion in place of the green onion, garlic powder and a combination of parsley and cilantro.  You definitely need to add some salt to the mixture.

These are on a large dinner plate.  They make a pattie about the same size as a 4 oz. beef pattie.



NEW YORK TIMES VEGGIE BURGERS
Makes 8 patties - 4 Smart Points per patty
 
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can mild tomatoes and green chilies
1 garlic clove, minced or 1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup parsley or cilantro
2 cups quick rolled oats

Process the first seven ingredients using an immersion blender or food processor.  Stir in oats and form into 8 patties.  Saute burgers on medium heat in a sprayed nonstick skillet for 5 minutes on each side, until both sides are browned.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so I came
to give it a look. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and will be
tweeting this to my followers! Terrific blog and amazing design and style.

Anonymous said...

Having read this I thought it was rather informative. I appreciate you finding the time
and effort to put this content together. I once again find myself personally spending
a lot of time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worth
it!