Thursday, January 12, 2017

Southern Fried Cornbread -- 6 Smart Points

With having just two people to cook for, I rarely bake cornbread.  Instead, I mix it up and fry it up like a pancake.  It takes a lot less time and there's no need to heat up the oven. 

Tonight I measured all the ingredients so I could calculate the Smart Points per serving for the Weight Watchers plan.



SOUTHERN FRIED CORNBREAD
4 servings: 1 cake each
6 Smart Points per cake

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
1 T. oil
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Mix thoroughly.  I spooned the batter into a non-stick skillet and made 4 generous corn cakes about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.    Brown on one side, then turn and cook until done. 

I used Shawnee Mills yellow cornmeal and all purpose flour to calculate the points. 

1 cup cornmeal       12
1/4 cup flour             3
1 egg                         2   
1 T. oil                      4
1/2 cup skim milk     1.5

Total 22.5 points so I rounded the count up to 6 per cake     

No comments: