Sunday, January 15, 2017

Almost "Alfredo" Spaghetti Squash -- 4 Smart Points

*****Edited to add:  I photographed this before I topped each with the bacon bits*****

ALMOST “ALFREDO” SPAGHETTI SQUASH

Makes 2 servings-- 4 Smart Points each



1 spaghetti squash

4 wedges Laughing Cow creamy light Swiss cheese

2 T. half and half cream

2 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese

2 T. real bacon bits



Cut the squash in half, scoop out seeds, place cut side down in a shallow baking dish.  Add ½ cup of water to the dish.  Bake, uncovered, in a 400° oven until tender—about 35-40 minutes.

When squash is done, use a fork to remove the “spaghetti”.  Mix with the cheese wedges and cream until cheese is melted and creamy.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Scoop the squash mixture back into the empty shells.  Top each half with 1 tsp. of Parmesan cheese and 1 T. bacon bits.


 Smart Points

Laughing Cow Swiss cheese           4

2 T. Half and Half cream                2

2 tsp. grated Parmesan                  1

2 T. bacon bits                               1

This is my version of a recipe shared by Michelle Reiber on a Weight Watcher Facebook page.  I used regular half and half, Kraft grated Parmesan, since that's what I had on hand, and Hormel real bacon bits.

Be careful when you're cutting the squash in half!  The squash is really hard.  I used my large chef's knife and nested the squash in a kitchen towel to keep it steady. 

I scooped the center out into a mesh colander that I'd lined with paper towels.  This absorbs the excess water.  The cheese wedges and half and half were warmed in the microwave before I added the squash to the mixture.

It's been a really long time since I'd baked a spaghetti squash.  As I remember, I tried to substitute it for pasta with spaghetti sauce on it and I did not like it that way.  The combination of cheeses and cream makes this version taste almost like Alfredo sauce.  Fettuccine Alfredo is my favorite dish to order, and it's probably the most fat laden, high calorie item on the menu.  Now I can satisfy myself with this instead.  I could eat the entire squash and still use fewer Smart Points than just a few bites of traditional Alfredo sauce.

No comments: