Sunday, March 1, 2020

Black Bean Burgers




Sunday is my day to play in the kitchen so I've spent this afternoon trying out some recipes I found online.

 
BLACK BEAN BURGERS

½ cup rolled oats
14 ½ oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 egg
1 tsp. cumin
½ cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
¼ cup finely diced red onion
2 tsp. French’s mustard
Salt and pepper

Process oats into small pieces. 

Add ½ of the beans and pulse.

Add egg and cumin.  Remove from food processor.

Add remaining beans, cheese, jalapeno, onion, salt, pepper, and mustard.

Make 4 patties.  Place on greased waxed paper and chill for 30 minutes.

Fry 3-4 minutes per side.

I made these today as an experiment.  They are delicious!  Be careful that you don't overcook the patties or they'll be too dry.

These will be good served with sour cream and fresh cilantro. 

*****************************************************************************************************





CHICKEN RANCH PASTA BAKE

½ package elbow macaroni
2 c. shredded, cooked chicken – I used 2 cans chicken breast
1 c milk  --- I used buttermilk
1 package dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
2 oz. cream cheese
5 oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese
¼ c. sour cream
3 T. bacon bits
Green onion  -- optional

Cook and drain pasta.  Add chicken, cream cheese, milk, sour cream, ranch dressing mix, and 2 oz. of the cheese.

Put in 13 x 9 casserole. Top with remaining cheese, bacon and green onions, if desired.

Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.



This will be for my lunches at work.  I divided it into three rectangle shaped take out containers and put in the freezer.  Before reheating, I poured additional milk over the top so it wouldn't be too dry.

Since I had buttermilk on hand and you make Ranch dressing with buttermilk, I substituted buttermilk for the milk called for in the recipe.  It added a nice tangy taste to the dish.

No comments: