Baked, glazed and cooling on the range top. These will be our dessert this evening. Rather than make the maple butter to top them with, I made the glaze I use on other types of sweet rolls. It's just powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
Cream Cheese Filled Brioche Sweet Rolls
Serves: 18 rolls
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 package RED STAR PLATINUM YEAST
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ cup softened butter
- 5 eggs
- 6 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Maple Brown Butter
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Add warm water, yeast and sugar the bowl of an electric mixer and set aside for about 5 minutes or until yeast starts to bubble. Add ¾ cup softened butter and eggs and beat until combined. Add 1 cup of flour and mix until combined, at salt and continue adding flour until dough starts to pull away from sides of the bowl. Knead of 5 to 7 minutes until dough is smooth. Place on a floured surface and cover and set aside to rise 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Prepare the filling: add cream cheese, egg, sugar, flour and vanilla to a mixer and mix until smooth.
- Punch down dough and divide in half.
- Roll each piece of dough into about a 8" x 11" rectangle.
- Spread half of filing onto each dough rectangle. Roll up from the long side and pinch seam together.
- Cut into 1½ inch rolls and place into a greased pie plate or baking pan.
- Cover and allow to rise 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add butter to a small pan and place over medium heat, stirring occasionally until brown bits form. Add maple syrup and brush over baked rolls.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.