Monday, November 6, 2017

Broccoli Cheese Soup -- 2 Smart Points


Not a very pretty photo.  I neglected to take a picture of the soup in a bowl before I divided into portions to freeze.

I hadn't tried making broccoli cheese soup before.  The recipe I based mine on made too large a quantity for a first try.  What if I didn't like it?  I'd have wasted all the ingredients and time!  So I did a little math and cut it down to six cups.

The soup should be creamy.  I used a stick blender to process the broccoli florets and it just wasn't smooth enough.  Putting in in the Vitamix gave me the creamy soup I was trying to make.

The Rotels make this kind of spicy, so if you don't care for the heat, cut the amount down to 1/2 of a can. 

Using regular chicken broth, you don't even need to add salt.  I'm a salt lover and this was fine without adding any.




BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
Makes 6 cup
2 Smart Points per cup

1 – 32 oz. carton Swanson chicken broth
1 –10 oz. can Mild Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
12 oz. package frozen broccoli
6 oz. 2% fat Velveeta cheese

Combine broth, Rotel tomatoes, and broccoli in saucepan.  Cover and simmer 30-45 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Cut Velveeta into cubes and add to pan.  Simmer and stir until cheese is fully melted.
Place prepared soup in blender or Vitamix and process until smooth.

Smart Points
Velveeta              12


No comments: